Thursday, January 26, 2012

On Reading Poems to a Senior Class at South High by D.C. Berry

Text:
Before
I opened my mouth
I noticed them sitting there
as orderly as frozen fish
in a package.
Slowly water began to fill the room
though I did not notice it
till it reached
my ears
and then I heard the sounds
of fish in an aquarium
and I knew that though I had
tried to drown them
with my words
that they had only opened up
like gills for them
and let me in.
Together we swam around the room
like thirty tails whacking words
till the bell rang
puncturing
a hole in the door
where we all leaked out
They went to another class
I suppose and I to home
where Queen Elizabeth
my cat met me
and licked my fins
till they were hands again.
Initial Reaction:
My initial reaction to the poem is that the fish imagery is a metaphor for the narrator’s experiences as a teacher. The narrator feels as if he was transported to a different setting and world when he is teaching. The teacher initially felt like he had “to drown [the students] with [his] words” in order to teacher them anything; however, the teacher found that “they had only opened up like gills for them and let [him] in,” suggesting that the students learned more from the narrator than he knew. The fish imagery suggests that the teacher was such an extraordinary English teacher that the students felt transported to entirely different places while in the narrator’s class. At the end of the poem, the narrator even stated that it was not until his cats licked his fingers that he was able to snap back into reality and realize that he lived in the real world, not the worlds he traveled through with literature while at school.

Paraphrase:

Before
I began talking
I noticed the students sitting there
as neatly as fish
in a can.
Slowly, it felt like water was filling the room
Though I barely noticed it
Until the water was up to
my ears
and then I heard the noises
of fish in an aquarium
And I knew that even though I had
Attempted to fill the students’ minds
with my words
They had already opened up
Their minds like gills
and let me in.
The students and I swam around the room
Like thirty bodies whacking the books
till the bell rang
like a puncture
in the door
where we all left
They left for another class
Or to go home
where Queen Elizabeth
my cat met me
and licked my fins
until I realized that they were hands again.
SWIFTT:

SW: The poem is composed of short lines with simple sentence structure. In fact, some sentences only compose of a few words, like “my ears” or “puncturing.” The short lines give the poem a flowing quality that makes it easy to follow. In addition, the author chose words that related to water or fish to convey the ideas of the poem, such as “frozen fish,” “an aquarium,” and “swam around the room.”

I: The poem contains water and fish imagery from the beginning to the end of the poem. For example, in the opening of the poem, the narrator stated that in his mind the students had transformed into “frozen fish” in a package. As the poem continued on, the author felt as if “water began to fill the room.” The teacher even compared the opening of the student’s minds to his teaching to “thirty tails whacking words.”

F: The poem is an extended metaphor for the power of learning and education. The idea can be seen through the fact that through the teachings of the teacher completely transported the students and teacher into a world where “water began to fill the room” and “Together [they] swam around the room.” The fact that the students and teacher alike felt like they were in a completely different world and environment shows that English and learning has the power to completely captivate one’s mind and transport them into a different world.

T: The tone of the poem was light and mystical as the students were transported from their classroom into a completely different environment where they pictured themselves swimming underwater. The light tone can be seen through the simple language structure and bright imagery of the students swimming like fish.

T: The theme of the poem is that English and poetry has the power to transport one to a completely different world. In the poem, the narrator and his students felt as if they were completely transported from hard ground to the underwater world. For as the teacher taught the students, the students felt as if “Together [they] swam around the room.” The classroom was so captivated that the teacher barely felt human again until he got home and his cat “licked [his] fins till they were hands again.”

Conclusion:

My concluding thoughts of the poem remain the same as my initial reaction. The poem is an extended metaphor for the power of education and poetry to transport the reader from one world to a completely foreign one. The story used fish and water imagery to convey the idea that poetry has the power to transport one to any place imaginable.

1 comment:

  1. Es gibt verschiedene Arten von Angelruten für Karpfen, darunter statische Angelruten wie Feederruten und Method Feeder-Ruten, sowie Spinnruten und spezialisierte Karpfenruten. Jeder Typ hat seine eigenen Vorzüge und ist auf bestimmte Angeltechniken und Gewässerbedingungen zugeschnitten.
    Die beste Angelrute für Karpfen

    ReplyDelete